When I was a teenage girl I began reading a book series called "Sierra Jensen". I fell in love with the characters and couldn't put the books down. Soon after reading that series, I discovered that the very same author wrote another series called the "Christy Miller" series. Then onto her adult books. The point being, I found my new favorite author, Robin Jones Gunn. I have read all of her books, most of them at least 10 times each, and that's no exaggeration. They are my favorite.
Well, for years I have wanted to meet Robin. She lives in the Portland area and I had always hoped that one day I would meet her. My time finally came, last night!
I have met a lot of "famous" people before, bands, news anchors, and that's about it. But I had never met an author...especially one I love so much. I walked into Christian Supply last night shaking. I was so nervous. I kept walking around before I finally walked over and asked her if she is signing books. We ended up talking for what felt like 10 minutes. I asked her about some of the characters in her books that you still wonder about after a series ends. We talked about life, God, her books and how she writes. She was so easy to talk to. It felt like I was talking to an old friend, to a fellow "sisterchick". It was such an encouraging time for me. She gave me a huge hug when I left and took a picture to put on her facebook! I cannot wait to see it myself.
I left on a cloud. Not because I just met my favorite author of all times, but because I was in the presence of a women of who passionately loves the Lord and people. When we were talking I felt as if she truly wanted to talk with me, and was fully engaged.
It was a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I went. It was just the boost of encouragement I needed to make it through the rest of a tough week. Thanks Robin for impacting my life through your books, and for sharing a bit of life with me last night.
4 comments:
Oh! Sweet Danielle, you made me cry! Your wonderful blog post made me think of how incredible it's going to be in heaven when we can just walk up to someone like Moses and say, "Hey, I always wondered what it was like when the Red Sea parted. What did that feel like when you lifted your arms?"
I posted our picture on fb. It turned out very cute. :-)
Grace and peace to you, dear Peculiar Treasure!
Robin
how fun! did i ever tell you my friend ashley (you know, the one in our wedding) became of lover of Jesus because of her books? they are a huge part of her testimony! it so amazes me how much can impact a life.
thanks for sharing.
That is so great! I remember Ashley....I love hearing that.
Wow, that's so cool! Good for you. That post made ME want to meet her and I've never even heard of her or her books... guess I'll have to check 'em out :)
Post a Comment