Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reflections

I have been reading a lot lately about people – about people calling it quits or people failing.

This week, one of the most influential broadcasters of his time is signing off. Larry King. Know him?
He’s the suspender-wearing 77-year-old man, married several times who has been criticized for not preparing for key interviews of the years.

He’s owned the 6pm/9pm slot on cable for 25 years – until a few years ago when others began to beat him and eventually crush him in the ratings.

Tomorrow night, he will interview his last guest, hunch over on the desk for a final time and end with a final goodbye. Something half as many people will see as they would have 2-3 years ago.


What about Brett Favre. Last year, a great season – memorable and filled with highlights.

This year – terrible and he missed his first game ever.

Many argue he’s too old to play football and I’m not sure they are wrong.

So are these successful men still successful?

I don’t know. Sure they’ve done great things and been successful – but these men all stayed too long.

They got comfortable and decided comfort was more important than being relevant.


I sure hope I stay relevant, but I worry I may too get comfortable at some point.

I see people doing things everyday they should have quit years ago.

What about you?
Are you relevant or is it time to do something new?

There will always be a reason not to, but I hope you and I will focus on the reasons to stay current and learn something new.

-Ryan

No comments: