Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jazz


When I was just starting seventh grade I was like any other awkward seventh grader. Insecure. Nervous. Unsure of myself.

I remember one night at AWANA a family had some kittens with them. I instantly had to have one. My mom let me. I would get him shortly after that. I was torn between naming him Tazz and Jazz. Somehow, Jazz stuck. And in no time I was holding a tiny ball of orange fur. My tiny ball of orange fur.

As junior high went along, I became even closer to Jazz. As weird as it sounds he was my friend when I felt like I didn't have any. I loved that cat. We remained as close as a cat and girl could be. After I left for college, he would soak up the attention when I would come home.

Jazz would have been 16 in August. But yesterday, he passed away. He had not been himself for a couple of years. He had a tooth pulled and his demeanor was never the same. He had a hard time eating, and my Mom said that is probably how he died.

I was crushed. I am crushed. To some people this is ridiculous, to be sad over a pet. But Jazz was so special to me. And the loss makes me sad.

But I am thankful. Ryan knew this day would come. We both did. That was partially why he got me my little guy, my Meow. So while I am sad that Jazz is no longer with us, I know I still have Meow who is so sweet and loves me a lot.

I will miss my Jazzy. A lot.

2 comments:

a giant, a homeschool momma, a kung fu panda, a little ninja turtle and a penguin said...

i'm sorry to hear about jazz. i know what it's like to lose a pet you're so close to. so grateful for his nice long life.

shelley said...

I totally understand. I had to put down my 14+ year old kitty a few years ago, and I couldn't stop crying. They are with you through so much and they become a part of you.

Praying for your heart during this time, and also that Meow will help cushion some of the sadness. :)