Friday, August 19, 2011

Story of Us



I didn't intend to steal the title of this blog from Taylor Swift...but it fits.

It was four years ago today Ryan and I met for the first time. I thought this would be a good time to share our story (thus far). I know many of you know it already, but hey, it's my blog and I like to tell it! :)

A little over four years ago I moved in with my friend Kristine. She was planning a mission trip with Ryan. I had been hearing about him all year. When we lived together, she kept trying to set me up on a date with him. We tried. And failed. We had a plan to go on a double date with her and her boyfriend. Ryan finally resorted to emailing me.

Our emails started off filled with questions and answers. We really jumped in and started to get to know each other. After his second email to me, I called my Mom and told her I thought I was going to marry this man. After a month of emailing, and eventually phone calls, we finally both were free to meet.

Which brings us to four years ago today. Our first date. I was so nervous and so excited! We went to Cafe Mingo near 23rd in Portland. We sat outside and enjoyed a rare, beautiful summer night. The conversation was easy. We had a great time. I was still nervous though. During diner a bug had flown into my wine. So instead of telling Ryan (I knew he would want to get me a new glass) I just kept drinking around the bug...well a little while later, Ry said he had a bug in his glass and I exclaimed "oh, me too". It wasn't until later in our relationship I told him I had the bug in mine for a while. We still laugh about it!

We began to spend more time together. During that first week, I was formally offered a job in Olympia at a church. This had been in the works before I even met Ryan. We went to the beach a week after our first date. I remember sitting at restaurant and Ryan asking me if dating long-distance was "worth it?". I was a little upset. Here we had just started to date, and he was breaking up with me? Thankfully he thought it through and didn't end our relationship there.

Sure enough, a couple weeks later I moved. Thus beginning our long-distance relationship. He would come to Yelm 3 weekends a month. I would go to Portland one. Not to mention every Sunday I would head to Portland for school. Thankfully we had some great friends who let me stay with them during this time.

That October Ryan and I had "the talk". Where was this going? I knew. He knew. But we hadn't talked about it. It was in October he told me he wanted to marry me. Well, I had figured that and knew the date I wanted to get married. So I said, oh good me too. How about October 18 next year? He said sure! :) We did talk that we wouldn't plan a wedding, talk about getting married, or anything related until he proposed. That was so hard!

I didn't have to wait long. December 15, 2007 just four months after we dated, Ryan proposed. We had plans to go out to a nice dinner. It was supposed to be at the Space Needle, but that changed to Portland City Grill. I was suspicious, but he had told me not on or before Christmas. In fact, I had talked to my friend Tiffany that morning and she asked if he was going to propose, I said I don't think so.

We went to dinner. The whole time I kept wondering. Will the ring be in my champagne? Will this family with kids (who brings kids to that fancy of a place?) leave so he can get on a knee? Nothing. It was more awkward than our first date!

We headed to Pioneer Square. He was acting weird. He kept looking around. I thought he was looking for a friend who was taking pictures. Turns out he was looking for a horse-drawn carriage. When he couldn't wait anymore, he kneeled under the 75ft. Christmas tree and asked me to marry him. I of course, said yes.

Ten months later on October 18, 2008 we were married. A mere 14 months from when we went on that first date. I know that doesn't sound like much time, but we felt it was right for us. And we had our families blessing from the beginning.

I can't believe it has been four years. Four amazing years. We have changed so much in that time. We have traveled. Moved. Adopted a cat. Become an Aunt and Uncle. Lived. Loved. Loss. Gained. Struggled. Rejoiced. And we have become stronger because of it.

I am so lucky to be married to such an amazing man. Happy 4 years together hubby. I love you!

No comments: