Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Leadership

Leadership is a great thing. Being in a position of leadership can be a very painful thing.
One of the rewarding things I get to do is build into future leaders. I think every leader wants future leaders to learn from their mistakes.
I have a different approach that requires a lot less talking and a lot more living. My goal is to let leaders make mistakes and be there for them when they do.
Just like I need to make mistakes, future leaders need to make them too. They don't need someone to tell them what they did wrong, they need someone to tell them
what to do when you're at rock bottom and there's no one around to pick you up. Do something different today. Invest in a leader. Let them make mistakes, lots of them - then be there for them when no one else is.
Remind them that part of being a leader is making a mistake. Don't talk about your mistakes. They don't matter. Listen to what they did and patiently (and quietly) let them discover success.
I assure you this will be an example of a leader they want to model. Remember, some of the most influential people say some of the fewest words.

-Ryan

No comments: