I am a writer. I like to start each piece with a killer sentence. Something that will shock you, something that will grab your attention. Something you will resonate with. I could start this piece with a line about one of our first nights here and our first experience with a tornado warning...the fear, the intimidation of it, the respect for it and our longing to return to all that was comfortable. I could start this with a line about the emotion we had driving out of Portland for the last time - emotion so intense, there wasn't a bodily function to express it. I could write about the disappointment we felt after attending our first church service here - knowing we were totally under dressed and lonely and would be lonely for another week. I could write about the excitement we felt the first night we went out to dinner with a couple and came away feeling like we had met new friends. I could write about the fresh air that I walked in each morning or the intense humidity that greeted me when I opened the door on a mid-summer morning. I could talk about the joy we felt when Danielle was offered a job at the church. You get the point by now. This isn't about one event or one story, this about many stories and many lessons we have learned in our first year in Nashville.
The Lord brought us to this place. It's not perfect, it's not a place I would have picked - it's a place he picked and he chose us as imperfect people to be part of . We struggled at times this last year. The first couple months were hard. We felt lonely, scared, longing for friends and longing for a place that felt like home. But through it all, we knew this was his plan and what would evolve would not be what we wanted or how we planned, but what we he wanted and what he planned. I remember waking up several mornings wondering what we were doing here. All I knew is that he wanted us here and he would allow things to happen that regularly reminded us of that truth. It took time, but we became content in it. He taught us to believe in ways we never had, to love each other in ways we didn't know we could and he is delivering his plan to us step-by-step...which is better than anything we could have imagined ourselves.
It's only fitting to recap what a year it has been and give our great God the praise for what he is doing in Nashville and how he using this place and the people here to challenge us and grow us. Our first experience with storms happened about 48 hours after we arrived. We lived through it and lived through many more. We have learned what clouds to fear, what clouds to ignore, we have seen the sky pitch black in the middle of the day and felt the power of the fierce winds and intense humidity in the middle of the night. In the winter, we got to experience one of Nashville's worst snowfalls in many years. There were several major snow events (more than 2 inches) this year which is much more than the city normally gets. We learned here that driving in the snow here means stopping on hills and tailgating the person in front of you - no matter how much ice may be on the road! The spring was wonderful with warm weather early plus a few storms. The summer brought heat and humidity that Ryan loved and Danielle preferred to avoid. We experienced Cicadas. Giant and very loud bugs that appear once every 13 years. They weren't the only bugs we saw, we also saw some big spiders along some of our favorite walking trails. Throughout this year, I have been reminded God has a since of humor and I think he's using us and our experiences to entertain him!
Enough with the weather, here's the good stuff! We have seen more of this incredible country than we ever imagined! On our way here, we drove through Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky. In the Spring, Danielle and I got away for a few days in Atlanta. In the Summer, we visited friends in Springfield, Missouri and spent a day in Branson, time in Memphis, Louisville and Indianapolis. During a visit with Danielle's parents, we visited a space museum in Huntsville, Alabama. We have seen countless places around Nashville and appreciated so much of this nation's great history.
Our family has been a huge support to us. Both sets of our parents visited, Ryan's Grandparents spent time with us as did Danielle's brother. Their support through this year has been wonderful and so special. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said we haven't missed watching our niece and nephew grow up. Even during the toughest moments, I have to remember that God brought us to this place and wants us here. I can't begin to tell you what an assurance this truth has been - and one we believe will hold up until he moves us somewhere else.
Our friends! What a special gift. The first couple we met was a couple a little older than our parents. Dave and Reba have been so wonderful. They invited us to church and we soon started attending there, they helped us get involved at church and have had us over for dinner numerous times. This has been a very special relationship that we are so thankful for. They really have been a gift from God - especially during the first few months here when we felt alone.
We got plugged in to a Sunday School at church. Danielle was sick the first Sunday so Ryan went alone. I was terrified, but so glad I went. That first week, another couple came for the first time. Over time, we became friends with them. We met another couple as well that we became instantly close with. They were in our lives for a short period of time before moving to Missouri for work, but we all remain close friends and talk several times a week. We have visited them and had many great conversations. We have become close with another couple as well. This is in addition to several other relationships we now have. Ryan meets with a group of guys for coffee every other Friday and Danielle has several friends she meets with on a regular basis.
Our jobs! Yep, the Lord is providing! Ryan's job is going well. I continue to grow and learn new things. I am managing a group of about 80 people. They stretch me, drive me crazy, make me laugh and do great work! They are a group of hard-working people - and let me say, the Lord is alive in this newsroom! God is working on the hearts of people here and there are a number of believers praying for non-believers. It is an exciting thing to be part of.
Danielle came here without a job. We didn't know if she would work or if she would volunteer. She started volunteering for a pastor at our church. Over time, she was offered her dream job with the Youth Ministry. She plans many of the events and is an administrative assistant to the High School Pastor. She also coordinates volunteers to work at the front desk. She is really enjoying it and people are loving here! I can brag, I am her husband! A lady came up to me a couple of Sundays ago and wanted me to know how much people appreciate my wife. She went on to tell me that Danielle keeps things organized and truly shows that she cares for people. It is so exciting to see the Lord using Danielle in this area.
We have been having so much fun experiencing new things. From new restaurants, to pumpkin patches, new stores, new towns and new adventures. This place is truly a special place to us.
As I reflect on this year, I am thankful. God is taking care of us and meeting our needs in more ways than we could imagine. He is paving the way for us. I look back on the past 12 months and have a hard time accepting all that has happened because it truly has been so much. We believed when we began dating that God would move us somewhere. We felt and emptiness and a longing for him to do more with our lives. My friends and family, he is doing it. We are full and satisfied with what is taking place each day. God is changing us and allowing us to be challenged and grow in new ways. We don't know what happens next, but we know he is leading the way. We are so thankful for so many people who have prayed for us and encouraged us along this journey. This is an exciting time in our history and we look forward to the future he has planned for us.
-Ryan
Also, today is our 3 year Anniversary!
No comments:
Post a Comment