Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Feeding the Hungry

So many times in the Bible Jesus talks about feeding the hungry. You see so many instructions to care for the poor. I saw that happen in a real tangible way last night.

I am going to take a moment and brag here. Ryan works at Fox 12 News. He heard of a need at Oregon Food Bank. He rallied his team together, and they hosted a food drive all day yesterday. 4:30 am to 11:00 pm. The Oregon Food Bank brought a big semi truck, that can hold up to 44 tons of food, but they just usually fill it to 22 tons. Fox wanted to fill it (22 tons). They aired live from the sight urging people to help their neighbors. To feed the hungry. And they did just that. They ended up raising 16 tons of food and over 2000 dollars...which is enough money for another 6 tons of food. That means the truck was filled!!! WOOHOO!!!!! That is enough food to feed 800 families for 5 days!

I had the joy and privilege to hang out with the Fox 12 team and the Food Bank for a couple of hours in the freezing cold. How wonderful to see so many people came out. Ryan told me so many stories afterward. He told of a family who recently needed food from the food bank. Now, that they are no longer in need of it, they in turn brought 2 cars full of food. Wow. A middle school girl went to her friends and teachers and collected over 400 dollars. It was incredible to watch so many people give. Little kids bringing a can up to the truck. Car loads of food. It was amazing.

I love that so many people cared. So many wanted to help out. But I was talking to the director of the Food Bank. They were talking about the needs, both in food, and help. They said they have more than enough volunteers for the holiday's but they will be in desperate need come January. I know that the holidays are the hardest time for families. But why do we do much this time of year ONLY? Don't get me wrong, I think we need all the help we can get during this season. But what about April? June? August? What about those same families who still cannot put food on their tables? I was challenged to give. Not just last night, but all the time. While this time of year is filled with giving (as it should be), we need to consider the poor and hungry all year.

With that said, I am so proud of my husband and all the hard work he and his team put into this food drive. What a blessing it is going to be to so many families! And to those who gave!

No comments: