
My all time favorite holiday is Christmas. I love the food, the smells, the sounds (boy do I love the sounds), the cold weather, the lights. I love everything about Christmas, except maybe for "Santa Baby" and "Jingle Bells".
We decorated our little home last weekend. My "Snow" theme is spilling over into the living room and dining room. Our small, but beautiful tree fills up the corner. My snowmen are sprinkled throughout the house. Candles are lit. Christmas music is playing. I love it!
Ryan and I are both trying to be very intentional this year. We really want to focus on the bigger things this season. While it's fun to decorate, sing carols, open gifts, and eat food, there is so much more. There is giving. Loving. Serving. And a precious baby that was born.
Our church is doing a thing called "Advent Conspiracy". The focus is to spend less, give more time, and love your neighbors. That is what we are trying to do this year. While we are having fun thinking of gifts to give one another, we are making the most of our time and resources. I am so excited to get to my Christmas baking, just to share it!
We are also trying to remember the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Jesus. I didn't grow up reading the Christmas story from Luke, but Ryan did. It's a tradition him and I would like to start together. We are also reading through a book called "Unafraid". It is by Francine Rivers. It's a fiction book all from Mary's perspective from the birth of Christ, to his death. It's been so neat to read this together and really focus on the miracle of Jesus' birth. To focus on the reality that he left Heaven and all his glory to be born in a dirty stall, and to sleep in a manger. He traded a glorious mansion, for a stable.
There is a song that always gets to me every year, it's called "Manger Throne" by Third Day. The lyrics always bring me back to Christ's birth.
What kind of King would leave His throne
In Heaven to make this earth His home?
While men seek fame and great renown
In loneliness our King comes down
Jesus, Jesus, precious One
How we thank You that You've come
Jesus, Jesus, precious One
A manger throne for God’s own Son
You left the sound of angels' praise
To come for men with unkind ways
And by this Baby's helplessness
The power of nations is laid to rest
What kind of King would come so small
From glory to a humble stall?
That dirty manger is my heart, too
I'll make it a royal throne for You
My heart is a throne
My heart is a throne for God's own Son
No comments:
Post a Comment