Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: A Year in Review

What a whirlwind 2008 has been. I cannot believe that we are on the eve of 2009. A new year, a new start, new memories, new sorrows, new joys, new victories, new changes. But I feel like I cannot fully embrace the new year, without looking at where I have been, and what this past year has held. So here are a few highlights:

1. The wedding! The majority of 2008 was spent planning the wedding. From Bridal Expos, to many trips to Michael's and JoAnne's. Making invitations, favors, and centerpieces. Buying a wedding gown. Also, being engaged long distance is a challenge. We did our pre-marital counseling on weekends when I could be in Portland. Our entire wedding was planned this way.


2. The big move: I moved back to Portland in June. This was harder for me than I realized. After a few big break downs, I settled in. Some friends graciously let Ryan stay with them, and I lived in his apartment. It worked well, but the half hour drive every night began to take it's toll. It was a relief to finally get married and live together. We LOVE our little apartment so much!



3. Hadlie Michelle. Our ADORABLE niece Hadlie was born! What a joy she is to the entire Hawes/Werner family!


4. Ryan's Job. Ryan signed his new contract at work. Which means, he is now an Executive Producer!!! I am so proud of him. He will be over seeing the 8, 10, and 11 pm news casts. Which means, his schedule will change from 9-6 to 2-11pm. It's going to be a change for us, but we are so excited for this opportunity for him! This is after he launched the 4'OClock news, and the 5'OClock news. Both of which had unexpected success!!




5. Beaverton Foursquare. We found a church. We had been praying about finding a church in our neighborhood. We knew we wanted a place close to home where we could worship, learn, and get involved. We found it. After our first Sunday we felt like we were "home".


6. Westwood Baptist Church. I miss my students in Olympia. But I knew when the job opened in Beaverton, that I had to go. It was a very hard thing for me. I learned so much from the youth pastor I was working with. I learned how to do ministry well. My 9 months that I was there provided me with an amazing learning opportunity. I also developed many relationships with some AWESOME students.




7. 25?? Yup, I turned 25. A quarter of a century. I am growing up. My birthday was amazing. Ryan had a whole scavenger hunt planned. Including making our own wine, which we gave to our wedding party.


8. My Husband. Ok, so I already talked about Ryan a little bit, but I am going to talk some more. He asked me at Christmas what the highlight of my year had been. He said the wedding was excluded. Of course. But I knew however I answered he would be included. The Lord has blessed me so much in him. I have the joy of being married to an incredible man. He is my best friend. He laughs with me. Supports me. Encourages me to be better than I am. Prays with me. Loves me. Spoils me. Builds me up. Holds me accountable. Cherishes me. I couldn't be more thankful for my husband. 2008 was only as good as it was because of him.


So there you have it, a few highlights from my last year. There are so many sweet memories and big things, but I don't want to keep typing them all out!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

No comments: