
When my mom wrote and said she had been diagnosed with Celiacs Disease (now a few months ago) I said "what"??? I had no idea what this was. I knew that she had been feeling pretty nauseous and tired all the time. She said that on top of Celiacs she was also anemic, which happens sometimes when you have Celiacs. So, I quickly began to research this disease as did Ryan. Here is what it is "Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in everyday products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms"
Many people with Celiacs Disease (CD) are also Lactose Intolerant, allergic to dairy. So far, my mom is not. Something else, CD can be genetic. My mom and grandma think that my grandpa may have had this before he passed away.
We have recently questioned whether I may have it as well. Many times dairy upsets my stomach, and I have been feeling nauseous the past week or so. I have not been diagnosed with CD, but there is a good chance that I could be. Ryan and I are trying not to borrow trouble, or a diagnosis before we get it, but it has got me thinking. And I have an appointment to find out if I might have CD.
Since we have found out about my mom, we have both been researching. Gluten-Free diets are becoming much more common. Elizabeth Hasselbeck (from The View) has made some significant head-way in opening people's eyes to Celiacs, as well as Gluten-Free Diets. I have been surprised just how GF friendly grocery stores are becoming. Most stores carry some Gluten Free foods. Safeway, Fred Meyer, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods are a few we have found. Many restaurants are beginning to offer GF food as well.
GF Food though is not cheap. But in all honestly the food is not all that bad. Sure, it's different, but it's not gross. We had some GF pancakes that you could barely tell the difference. I made my mom GF Chocolate Cupcakes, that were quit tasty as well.
Our world is becoming so much more GF friendly. Even in church yesterday they offered GF crackers for communion! There are lots of cookbooks and resources for those who have a GF diet.
So, if I do have Celiacs, I am not too discouraged. It will take some getting used to, but I am up for the challenge, and I know Ryan will be there all the way!
5 comments:
i'm sorry to hear about your mom, but encouraged all the same.
Thanks friend!
Feeling nauseous huh? Do I hear the pitter pat of little feet? I think so!
Actually no, I am not preggo, but thanks for checking anyways. :)
Post a Comment