My brother informed me today that Jennifer Knapp, a Christian Artist-whose music I love, has announced that she is gay.
I really don't know how to respond. I read her exclusive interview with Christianity Today. As a Christian, I don't believe that homosexuality is right. But there are so many Christians who live this lifestyle. I still believe that they are Christians. It is such an interesting topic and to some very controversial. As I read other peoples replies, I struggled more. There were the "hate the sin, love the sinner" replies. The "props" to Jennifer. And so much more. I cringed at parts of the article and her response. There was the sense of struggle, with trying reconcile this choice of relationship, and her relationship with God. Trying to make sense of the things she is feeling, and what she knows is truth. My gut is like, "Really? You know truth! Why are you doing this?" But then I reminded of those decisions I make every day, when in my heart I hear "Danielle! What are you doing? You know truth! You know this decision is contrary to that very truth" Don't we all have that battle? Why is it then, when a fellow brother/sister confesses to a struggle such as this, that we judge. We turn away. We cast them out. I am not at all saying that her decisions are right, but I am wondering what our response as the church needs to be? Is it the "hate the sin, love the sinner"? Is it to fully embrace them, and not call out the sin? What is the level of accountability we have in the church? And when do we hold people to that?
I would love to know your thoughts on it, especially in regards to Jennifer Knapp, and the interview with Christianity Today.
No comments:
Post a Comment