Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Words are powerful

I am contemplating words today. They have the power to build up, communicate, encourage, and yet destroy. They are also the window into someone's heart. (I know, it's supposed to be the eyes, but I believe words can be too!)

It was a year ago that an email appeared in my inbox. I had wondered when I would get it and it seemed to have taken so long for it to finally arrive. My heart was racing as I opened it up "Danielle," it started. I knew who it was from. I had been so anxious to hear from this mystery man. And here it finally was, his first email. The correspondence began and I would anxiously check my email multiple times a day wondering what new things I would find out about this man who had captured my heart with his well crafted words and thought out questions.

I remembering telling my mom "I can't wait to meet him-if there is a connection, I will marry this man".

Words are powerful. Ryan's words to me allowed me to see his heart. I learned so much about him. When we did meet, there was no lule in conversations. And as our long-distance relationship progressed words were often all we had. We learned just how powerful our words were towards each other.

So now I am looking back at our first letters. The beginning of discovering each other's hearts. I am amazed by the things we talked about. I am surprised by how quickly I knew this man without ever seeing his face.

With all that said, words are powerful.

No comments: