Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nothing Great

I was listening to Late Tuesday this morning and their song, "Nothing Great" came on. It made me think. There are days when we hate our jobs. Where it always feels like a Monday. Where the day to day stuff gets old. Where we just go through the motions. Where we feel like nothing we do really makes much of a difference. Where the gifts and talents we have are never used to their full potential. I am there. I am at that place. But this song got me thinking about what I am doing and why I am doing it.


The same old stuff I have to do

Over and over and over again each day it seems

Nothing great to show off my abilities and my worth

So show me my purpose in the midst of this routine


Because I'm trying to understand why I am here at all

with so many guesses and too many simple answers

Could it be that life is not what I think at all

It's not the big things but the ordinary in between

And maybe this is not the time to be waiting for

any better reason to be glad that I am alive at all

So help me take each day each simple thing that I must do

to bring glory to you


And I could search out a lot of ways

To keep me doing things in attempt to make my mark

But then maybe I'd miss the mark of your desire for me

So I will trust in you and in everything I do

do it as for you


And I am learning to understand why I am here at all

there's no need for guesses when you are the simple answer

and you show me that life is not what I think at all

It's not the big things but the ordinary in between

And maybe this is not the time to be waiting for

Any better reason to be glad that I'm alive at all

So help me take each day each simple thing that I must do

to bring glory to you.







No comments: