Another great article on the Millennial Generation.
Ryan and I often talk about this generation and how they work, or don't work. I recently talked with a recent college graduate, and she was looking for a job. She believed that her really great internships and college degree would land her an excellent job in her field. Been there. Done that. Failed.
This generation has so much confidence in their "experiences" but the problem is, these experiences are nothing compared to those who have been at it for years. The graduate I talked with was so confident in her abilities. It was as if she really believed that she was the only person who ever graduated with that degree or had those internships. Forgetting that there are people older, and with more experience than her. There was a sense of entitlement. A sense of I deserve this because...
I wrestle with this at times. As I read this article I was reminded of all the times I applied for a job that I seemed to be perfect for, only to not get the position. I struggle with some of these same mentalities. But I fight them too. I don't want to be like this generation. I want to work hard. Earn respect. Deserve the job I get. And be confident, not in who I think I am, but in who I truly am.
No comments:
Post a Comment