Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Grounded

I've been writing this week about three types of people you need in your life. I first heard the idea while attending "Promise Keepers." You need someone that you can build into, someone that can build into you and someone to walk through life with you. I wrap up with this topic because I think it is so important. Here are a few people who have walked through life with me - and continue to make a profound impact on me. Danielle No surprise here, but my dear wife. We will celebrate four years of marriage next month. Danielle is my rock. Danielle keeps me sane, pushes me to be better and is so patient with me. Throughout our marriage, Danielle has been a rock for me, been faithful to me and been everything I need when I need it. Danielle knows when I need her to remind me to be more caring towards people or when I need her unwavering support. When I am feeling attacked, Danielle steps up and takes the blows for me while building me up at the same time. Danielle prays like crazy. Danielle believes the best about people. At her core, she is so gentle. Danielle will give everything she has to help someone else. She has made me a better giver, a better husband and taught me there is so much value in trusting the Lord. Danielle carries us through tough times and makes the good times so much better! I love her with all my heart and so blessed to have her with me on this journey. Gregg Apple Valley Elementary - home of the Cougars and home to some, well let's just say - important learning experiences! I learned a lot about myself there. I learned I couldn't keep a beat, that Math wasn't my thing, I figured out lamps don't raise the temperature on a thermometer and that writing a book report on a book you never read isn't a good idea. But at that school, I also met a friend - who would end up making a profound impact on my life. My friend Gregg and I first started hanging out in second grade. He was smarter than me, better at sports and was a lot more driven than me. None of that kept us from being friends. We had some similar interests like riding bikes, riding the Yakima Transit, we even talked about starting our own lawn-mowing business. Good thing we never did! We would spend our elementary, middle and high school years having classes together and becoming even friends over time. We traveled to Disneyland, the beach, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, New York, Canada and then Europe over the course of a few decades of friendship. We also went through tough family times together - the death of both our Grandfathers, death of pets and so much more. We talked each other through various moves in life, career choices and relationships. But through it all, Gregg has made a pretty big impact on my life - and in a very profound way. Gregg always wanted the best. We have had several conversations over the years. I would start to settle on something, but Gregg would remind me there is something better - worth working for. He didn't settle and he never expected me to settle either. This is the type of accountability you don't find in a self-help book, it's the type of accountability you're lucky to get in life. Gregg has pushed me to be a better leader, a better man and a better husband. Gregg encouraged me to work harder, to be better and to expect to win. You can't ask for a better friend than that. My Grandpa I could talk about the greatness of my Grandpa, but I'll keep it short - because he's not one for wasting words. I talk to him almost every day. Something I appreciate is that I can't outwork him (despite him being 84), I can't out-pray him and I can't out-give him. He isn't proud of my earthy accomplishments, instead he rejoices when we make eternal accomplishments. He keeps me balanced and isn't afraid to ask me the questions few others will. I've given you insight into 9 people that are part of my life. There are so many more that deserve a lot of credit, but I have told you these stories as proof that three types of people in our lives are necessary. People who we can build into, people who build into us and people who aren't afraid to tell it like it is - and walk through this journey with us. Who is playing these roles in your life?

No comments: