Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Original Three

Throughout my life, I have focused on having three types of people in my life. People that build into me, people that hold me accountable and people I get to build my life into. Over the next few days, I will write about these different people in my life because I think the lessons learned from them are so valuable both for you and for me and these lessons deserve to be in writing. Today, I am going to write about "The Original Three." These are three guys I met when I began doing youth ministry many years ago. It was my calling to build into their lives, but what I learned from them far outweighs anything I could have taught or given them. Today, I am honored to call these guys, now adults, friends. In no particular order, here are some valuable lessons I learned from them. I hope you'll learn something too. Chris I met Chris when he was in 6th grade. Chris always walked into our youth room full of energy and excitement. He made people laugh! Chris and I used to eat pancakes with his family before church and then go to Starbucks. We found so much to laugh about! We took every chance we got to laugh at ourselves. Chris taught me to slow down a little bit and enjoy the process of life. I remember teaching him how to drive my car which had a manual transmission. Yeah, because that's what a youth worker should be doing with his students! Like any good driving teacher, I took him on a hill the first time, a steep one. Of course, the car stalled and Chris didn't worry or get panicked, he laughed. What a gift! Through so many things over the years, Chris chose to smile and accept what was going on - instead of focusing on everything that was wrong. Chris is a successful guy now doing what he loves - selling cars. Chris is successful because he focuses on what is good and refuses to let tough times take him out. Jeremy Jeremy didn't want to talk to me the first time he met me at youth group. He was shy and so was I! After all these years, finally talking to me probably seems like the biggest mistake of his life! Ha! Truthfully though, Jeremy is a gift from God and a gift to my family. Jeremy didn't have it easy. In fact, Jeremy had it pretty tough - but you sure wouldn't know it now. I am not going to go into specific details, but let me just say - Jeremy overcame circumstances few could overcome. I know it's because he had faithful parents, solid people in his life and a God who loves him. I always appreciated that Jeremy would ask God to prove himself to him - and God certainly did. So what lessons do we learn from Jeremy's life? The thing that stands out to me the most is: Jeremy faced his fears, so can I. As a child, as a student and as an adult, Jeremy has faced his fears and done so better than anyone I know. Jeremy is honest about life, has an incredible memory and a great sensitivity to people. I believe God has blessed Jeremy with these traits by the way he handled everything that came his way. I am so proud of Jeremy. He is college graduate, successfully working in the financial industry and living for the Lord. I thank Jeremy for teaching me that great things come out of tough times. Chase Oh, what I would do right now to have the opportunity to sit at the dinner table with Chase and his family. I met Chase when he was in middle school. I instantly hit it off with him and his family. I know I needed them more than they needed me. Chase became my little brother. We would share meals together with his parents, we would go to various church events and find countless ways to laugh at each other - and others too! But what I have always appreciated about Chase is how good he makes people around him feel. I always wanted new students to be around Chase because he didn't care where you came from, what you are going through or who you are - he just wanted you to be happy and have a good time. Everybody liked Chase because Chase liked everybody. As Chase has gotten older, his love and acceptance of people has grown. Chase is a hard worker and cares deeply for people. It was so great to have him stand beside me on my wedding day. You've just read the stories of three people who I thought I would get to impact. Instead, God used them to impact me. I hope they know that. We all live miles apart, but I certainly cherish the friendships I have with "The Original Three" - and am thankful God used them to teach me to focus on what is good, to persevere through tough times and to love those around me. I'm proud of these three young men for following their dreams, attempting to live the best life they can and for their friendship. I have been blessed by their lives and I know others will be as well. When you feel God calling you to be part of someone's life, don't ignore it. Who knows? You may be on the verge of getting a new friendship that will last a lifetime. Next post... The three people that impacted me.

No comments: